Despite the above lackluster report of current relationship with Paris, this past week or so has actually been thoroughly entertaining. Susan's class has taken us to somewhat less familiar arenas of Paris's extensive array of art exhibition, contributing to my ever-increasing list of things-to-do before I leave. And then there was the Moulin Rouge with Paul. Doubly exciting because I understood almost everything our charming brace-faced guide said. One of my better days. It's incredible how much my French comprehension fluctuates. At this point, I think it all comes to down my willingness to concentrate. Anyway, the Moulin Rouge is, as I'm sure you've imagined in your wildest dreams, quite entertaining, even during the lull. We didn't do as much backstage peeking as I would have hoped, but a large part of our guided history lesson was pleasantly accompanied by song and dance. At this point in m post, I could show you some pictures of practicing Moulin ladies but taking pictures of the stage was "interdit". Sigh.
For all you music fans, I saw a couple of amazing acts this weekend. Friday, Mark Lanegan and Isobel Campbell at La Cigale. For those of you that are unfamiliar, they've been described as a modern day Lee Hazelwood and Nancy Sinatra. If you don't catch the significance of this last reference, I give up on you. For good. Although I appreciate the dulcet tones of Ms. Campbell, let's face it, I was there for the soul-shaking bass of a crooner some know as The Dark Horse. As incredible as this man sounds in my headphones, I didn't anticipate the sheer exhilaration of feeling his voice live. The man can hit some serious low notes. I kid you not, I could feel it reverberating in my throat.
Saturday, I hit up Villette Sonique, a festival at the Parc de la Villette. I had planned on splurging and using my hard-saved cash reserves to go to a show every night of the festival, but then I thought about how I can see many of these acts for a fraction of the cost back home. There is something to be said for catching shows in Paris, but I've already been to quite a few, so I feel satisfied. So back to Saturday. I meant to catch Health, which did an album with Crystal Castles (see below), but unfortunately I got there a little later than expected. Bummer, I guess. They were followed by Chromatics, whom after many technical difficulties were able to start an hour and half later. My man, Forest, reports that they were once great, but since their since their fiscally advantageous genre change to disco, they've lost their edge. And damn did I feel it. The lead singer was doin' the side shuffle throughout the show. Talk about lack of stage presence. The Muppet Band has more panache.
However, the next act more than made up for it. Introducing...Chrome Hoof! They were amazing. Cultish, even. I'm hoping my youtube videos load, so you can see how truly electrifying these talented young individuals can be. A million thanks.
No comments:
Post a Comment