Sunday, May 18, 2008












With the exception of a few showers, it has been exceptionally beautiful in Paris since my return from break. I've been walking so much lately that the calluses on my toes have been sharpened into talons and my Converse are barely holding it together. I would buy more shoes, but the same moment I'm tempted, I'm reminded that I could find the same pair for a fraction of the cost back in the States. Plus, my feet are apparently inordinately large for the likes of Paris, since I can't seem to find my size anywhere. In light of this past week's site visit to the Bon Marche and Les Galleries Lafayette, I desperately want to go shopping and recreate my wardrobe in the image of la jeune fille parisienne, but it'll have to wait. I have one month left to go and I refuse to blow the rest of my cash when the dollar is so grossly undervalued. 

Friday Sara and I walked to the Bois de Vincennes and stopped for a bit in Parc Barcy for une pique-nique. Once we reached le bois, we came across a hilariously unattended carnival complete with an amusing and decidedly French interpretation of American pastiche (please see above and I repeat, blogger sucks). We rode the ferris wheel to get a look at the carnival from above and laughed at how few people were there. Then we continued to walk around the moderately confusing bois, getting a little lost on several occasions. I looked at map as we were leaving and realized that they area that we walked around was actually pretty small, so I'm planning on a return visit. 
Last night was the La Nuit des Musees in Paris and apparently throughout France and perhaps in other parts of Europe as well. Carolyn (whom I met at le Institut) and I planned on hitting up Musee Quai de Branly, Musee de L'arme and Musee Rodin because of their close proximity. We got some most excellent sushi and headed over to Branly to find a crowd that wrapped around the block. In the spirit of French...I don't even know what to call it at this point...they were heavily regulating entrance. Security checks, attendance capacity, blah blah. We decided to head back later since everything was supposed to be open until 1am. I had read that there was going to be some sort of light show inside the dome of Les Invalides, so we spent some time around the Musee de L'arme, which was infinitely more interesting with Carolyn, since she has studied fencing for several years and wants to use her art history degree to specialize in military history. I probably don't have to tell you that the light show under the dome was incredible. I've never seen anything like it and I really don't know how to describe it here. It described France's military history from 1630 to WWI and I understood about 65% percent of the narration. We were packed in to the stairs, so parts of the light spectacle that focused on the tomb below were lost on us, but I was entertained nonetheless. 
We tried the Musee Rodin afterward, but depsite the fact that it was only a quarter to midnight, the guards in front insisted the museum was closed. From a small gap in the gate, I could see the two floors of the museum lit up and crowded with people, but I guess they were trying to make sure that the place was empty by 1. We had given up on Branly, but I knew that Pompidou was supposed to open later, according to a quasi-friend that works there. So we metroed over, but again were thwarted. Bummer. Carolyn headed back to her place, for fear of missing the last train and I decided to wander around for a bit and enjoy the spectacle of Paris at night. 
After a few block and several incoherent French men trying to grab me, I thought perhaps the aforementioned spectacle might be better enjoyed from my balcony. I headed back to the apartment and poured myself a scotch. 

No comments: